4 carrots, diced
4-6 stalks celery, diced
1 big handful diced shallots
½ cup of sliced peppers (red, yellow)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 potatoes, large dice
4 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs oregano
1 teaspoon of vegetable base
½ cup of carrot juice
12 cups vegetable broth
Large handful of lentils and/or brown rice
2- 3 dollops of white, rose wine or bourbon (optional)
1 tangerine or small orange (1/2 zest, and all juice)
Handful chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Saute carrots, celery, shallots, and peppers in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and all other ingredients except for citrus and parsley.
- Turn up heat to boil and turn down to low-med to simmer.
- Simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- Finish by squeezing in citrus juice and zest and parsley (if using).
Note: Customize this soup as you like! You can replace the lentils and/or brown rice with tofu or cooked grains or pasta towards the end of cooking time. Peas or edamame are also good additions.