Skip to content
Eat Smart Recipe - Black Beans
- 1 pound dried black beans (Zimmern recommends the thin beans from Oaxaca)
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 carrots, halved
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 3 cilantro sprigs
- Kosher salt
- Corn tortillas, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
- Rinse the beans in a colander. In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the rinsed beans, onions, garlic, carrots, oregano, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Discard the onion halves, carrots, and herb stems. Season the beans with salt and pepper, and serve with tortillas, sour cream, and lime wedges.