½ cup fresh fava beans, shelled and peeled
1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1½ cups sunflower sprouts
½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Juice ½ small lemon
½ avocado, diced
¼ cup chopped almonds, toasted
¼ cup large shavings of Parmesan
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a small pot of salted boiling water and a small bowl of ice water.
- Drop the fava beans into the boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Remove the beans and immediately immerse in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Keep in the ice water long enough to cool completely, about 15 seconds.
- Drain and place on paper towels to dry.
- Thinly slice the fennel (using a mandolin, if you have one).
- Place the fennel slices into a large bowl with the sunflower sprouts, chickpeas, and fava beans.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil, the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad, then add the avocado, almonds, and Parmesan shavings and gently toss again.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.