Skip to content
Eat Smart Recipe - Mushroom Goulash
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup of baby bella mushrooms (or shiitake, or both)
- 2 portabello mushrooms (sliced into 1/3-inch slices)
- 1 bunch flat leaf kale
- 1/3 stick butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or white wine (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (or a vegan substitute)
- 2/3 cup tofu cream
- Pinch sea salt and pepper
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 12 ounces dried egg noodles (or egg substitute)
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chives or parsley
- Additional paprika (optional)
- Cook onions, garlic, and olive oil in a skillet until translucent, and add a teaspoon of paprika, then set aside.
- Chop dried porcini mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms (or shiitake, or both), and portabella mushrooms and set aside in a large bowl.
- De-vein, chop, then lightly steam the flat leaf kale, set aside.
- Form a white sauce by mixing butter and flour. Add dry sherry or white wine, Worcestershire sauce, tofu cream, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a large pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil, then add sliced and cut mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water and prepare dried egg noodles.
- Mix all ingredients together, then add chopped walnuts and chives or parsley, sprinkling liberally on top. If desired, sprinkle additional paprika for color.
- Ready to serve.