1/3 cup white lentils, picked over + rinsed
3/4 cup roughly chopped spring onion greens (like chives, green onions or ramp greens; or a mix)
1/4 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons filtered water
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon mellow/light miso
1/4 teaspoon pure maple syrup/agave nectar
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 medium zucchinis
extra basil, chopped, for garnish
- Start by bringing a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the lentils to the water and stir. Bring the lentils back up to a hearty simmer. Cook the lentils until slightly mushy, about 25 minutes. Drain the lentils and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor.
- To the food processor bowl, add the chopped spring onion greens, basil, olive oil, water, lemon zest, lemon juice, miso, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Run the motor of the food processor on high until you have a smooth and creamy consistency, stopping to scrape the sides down a couple times. Check the sauce for seasoning, adjust, and set aside.
- Run the zucchinis through a spiralizer or make strands out of them with a julienne peeler. Place zucchini noodles in a large bowl. Toss zucchini noodles with the spring onion miso sauce, and some salt and pepper to taste. Once noodles are coated, divide them among 4 serving bowls. Top the creamy zucchini noodles with the cheesy sunflower sprinkle, roasted vegetables, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.
CHEESY SUNFLOWER SPRINKLE INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon mellow/light miso
CHEESY SUNFLOWER SPRINKLE DIRECTIONS
- Combine the sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, and miso in the bowl of a food processor.
- Run the motor of the food processor on high until you have a crumbly, dusty consistency.
- Transfer cheesy sunflower sprinkle to another bowl, wipe the food processor bowl out with a dry towel, and return it to the base.