1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup mung dal (hulled and split mung beans)
½ cup brown basmati or other brown rice
6 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 cinnamon stick
3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
- In a nonstick pot over medium heat, roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and turmeric powder until the aromas start to mix and the seeds start to crackle and pop.
- Add mung beans and brown basmati rice, and roast lightly with the spices.
- Add water, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for roughly 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the dal and rice are cooked.
- Before serving, add lemon juice and salt.
- Serve in a bowl or plate over brown rice or other whole grain, with a few sprinkles of fresh chopped cilantro on top and lemon wedges on the side.
Note: You can also replace the rice with another ½ cup dal if you prefer or plan to serve over rice.